Wastage

Most of the litter that I pick up while on park cleaning excursions is of no further use to humans - hence why they have been thrown away in the first place. Although it's vexing to have to pick up empty bottles, sandwich boxes, used tissues and cigarette ends from the pathways, so far I have at least known that their time was up anyway, and so they could be disposed of with a clear conscience. Today, however, there was an example that just went too far. In the bushes of Holland Park I discovered a package of wet wipes that was still more than half-full. 

I don't want to get unnecessarily angry about this. However, I think that it is truly astonishing that somebody would have the idea of throwing away this perfectly usable product - and not even putting it into a waste bin, but hiding it away from sight as if they too were ashamed of their own actions. Those wet wipes could have served them well for at least a few more days. If nothing else, it was a waste of their money.

What really worries me most, though, is that such behaviour may be more widespread than I previously thought. If so, then the scale of wastage that our society engages in must be stupendous. Of course, I have known for a while thanks to the news and social networks that industrial processes such as refining and mining lead to lots of waste material being produced. But this is the first time that I have really noticed how much we, as consumers and everyday citizens, are capable of throwing away without further consideration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emperor Vespasian

The Peacock in the Park (20/5/20)