First Day (19/5/20)

Today was my first excursion to the parks. Originally I had intended to spend some time in Marcus Garvey Park and then briskly move on to Holland Park. This plan did not materialise, since I quickly realised that there was far more rubbish in the former than there had appeared to be a first glance. So I set to, equipped with my shiny new litter picker.

Most of the things there were small objects, unfortunately all too common, such as cigarette ends and bottle caps. Around the benches in particular were dozens of cigarette ends - so many, in fact, that I grew tired of seeing their orange rectangular surfaces over and over again. I still can't understand why people smoke, or why they throw their cigarette ends onto the ground when there literally is a bin right next to them. It was the same with bottle caps, and even entire bottles and cans - I found an empty can of Guinness, another of Red Bull, and a bottle of Heineken lounging in the undergrowth. There are several bins in Marcus Garvey Park, and yet it seems to be the case that the most rubbish accumulates around those bins, not in them. A particularly ironic moment was when I found a sign at the park entrance that said 'Please do not litter'. Right next to this sign, immediately noticeable, was an abandoned blue plastic bag!

Yet, on this first occasion, I confess that I enjoyed this activity. I quickly settled into a routine of searching, picking up, and throwing away that gave me an opportunity to get my brain awake and organise my thoughts for the day. Indeed, when I came back inside after about an hour, I found myself more alert and active than I had been in previous mornings. 

Simply put, I know that I'm working for a good cause, and I think that this is what gives me the most motivation to do this. The thought that the money I raise can save lives is a powerful one. But I'm also spurred on by people around me who immediately recognise what I am doing and are offering me their support. This morning, an old gentleman walked by on the road and had a little chat with me. "There's too many people who don't give a damn about society and others," he said as we exchanged goodbyes. "I'm glad that you're not one of them. Keep going."

I will remember those words, and the other morale-boosting words from family, friends and teachers that I've already received on this first day. Things are off to a good start.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emperor Vespasian

Wastage

The Peacock in the Park (20/5/20)