New Things

An event that particularly struck me in Holland Park today came about when I was cleaning in the Dutch Gardens. As I stepped around the corner of one of the bushes to snap up an elusive bottle cap, I was greeted with a bizarre tableau of a peacock and a family of four. The latter, who were clearly entranced by this creature, were taking pictures and talking excitedly amongst themselves. The bird, on the other hand, gave no sign that he had noticed the humans. Instead, he pruned his feathers, sniffed, and then gave three loud piercing cries, before wandering off somewhere - presumably in search of a meal, or a place to rest and bask in the sun.

This small scene brought back memories of what I had felt when I had first come to Holland Park, three years ago, and discovered the amazing wildlife that it has on offer. Indeed, this fundraising activity that I'm doing has given me happiness from so many new things. 

For example, yesterday I started sending out emails to the friends of the parks I was cleaning, and my local councillors and MPs, asking for their support in letting other people know about what I was doing. This was the first time that I had ever done such a thing - so far, all the money that I had managed to raise had come from my close friends, family and associates. I was jumping into the deep end, truly shouting in the dark with this endeavour. Frankly speaking, I did not expect significant returns at all.

Yet the responses came in almost immediately. Two lovely messages from the chairman and the secretary of the Friends of Holland Park, promising to tell their fellow members about me; a Kensington and Chelsea councillor who turned out to be a graduate from my old school, reminiscing with me about dear old Westminster and stating that he would let his fellow representatives know about my activities. 

This is a happiness that I haven't had the pleasure of knowing before. But now that I've experienced it, just like I felt when I first met the peacocks, and just like how the family this morning may have felt in their similar experience, I feel a new sense of satisfaction and accomplishment. It is wonderful to be doing new things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emperor Vespasian

Wastage

The Peacock in the Park (20/5/20)