Emperor Vespasian

I just learned that, on this day, the Roman Emperor Nero killed himself in 68 AD. Faced with huge popular unrest, mutiny in the army and with his great rival Galba marching on Rome, Nero took his own life - or forced his private secretary to do it (accounts differ significantly) - saying famously, "What an artist dies with me!" Yet although Nero was a hated figure by this point, one of the most turbulent and unstable years in ancient history would follow his death, as, over the course of 69 AD, no fewer than four emperors were crowned, weakened, and killed in succession. Galba, Otho and Vitellius all rose up to seek imperium and wear the purple toga, before they fell to each other's swords and to the might and power of Vespasian, who finally restored order to the Roman Empire.

I have always greatly admired Vespasian. Unlike his predecessors, who all hailed from aristocratic backgrounds, he came from what is better described as an upper-middle class family, and was its first member to achieve senatorial rank. He went on to achieve many notable feats, such as leading a legion in Britain during Emperor Claudius' conquest of the island, defeating rebellious tribes in eastern Asia and in Judaea, and, after becoming emperor, reforming the Roman currency system and building many famous buildings such as the Colosseum. He died after ten years in power, of natural causes, much loved by those around him not just for his authoritative presence and leadership, but for his wit, amiability and love of learning and writing.

I hope that, when I grow up, I can be like Vespasian, in the sense that I can achieve great things not through my birth and my privileged status, but through my ability, my interactions and conversations with others, and through the things that I learn over the course of my life. This park cleaning activity may be one such thing that puts me on a better path.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wastage

The Peacock in the Park (20/5/20)