Conflicts Past and Present

May 27 is an important day in the story of WW2 Britain. It was on this date in 1940 that the Allied high command began Operation Dynamo, the successful evacuation of hundreds of thousands of soldiers from the beaches of Dunkirk after it became clear that the Battle of France could not be won. A year later, on May 27 1941, the Royal Navy hunted down and sank the German battleship Bismarck, just three days after she had broken out into the North Atlantic and devastated British morale by destroying HMS Hood, the pride of the fleet. Both of these events etched themselves into popular memory, and are commemorated widely today in writing and in film, to the point that they have become near-legendary.

But apart from these famous events, the Second World War has left its scars on Holland Park as well. One of its central buildings, Holland House, was critically damaged by bombs during the Blitz, almost to the point of total destruction (This picture gives a sense of the damage). Despite the best efforts of locals, it has not been fully restored. Whenever I go to visit, I find myself struck by the asymmetry of the building, which throws off its beauty and grandeur in a rather unfortunate manner, and by how it symbolises how war has left its mark on our world.

I've been fortunate to have lived in safety, prosperity and an atmosphere of general happiness, surrounded by a loving family and faithful friends. War's touch has not affected me, and I remain eternally grateful to that. But COVID-19 has thrown humanity into such dire straits again - only this time, the enemy is a virus in our midst, which does not care about race, gender, or wealth. 

In such a difficult situation as we are in now, I look back to how our ancestors conducted themselves during times of global war, and attempt to draw inspiration from there. Whether it's Winston Churchill saying that 'We will never surrender' as the Allies withdrew from Dunkirk, or Bismarck's admiral transmitting 'We will fight until the last shell is fired' as the British closed in on him, I've understood that the presence of great problems is capable of bringing out solidarity, courage and hope in us.

I hope for these traits to become stronger within me as a result of this quarantine, so that I stop being so selfish and focused on myself, but instead become braver and more active, and reach out to others - such as my family, my friends and my teachers - to bring them joy and satisfaction too. Instead of avoiding responsibility and work, I wish to gain the ability to understand my mind and actions more thoroughly and to commit to tasks more effectively. Perhaps this quarantine will be the catalyst for my own profound change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emperor Vespasian

Wastage

The Peacock in the Park (20/5/20)